The Smallest City of the World
Fürstenau ( Farschno in Romansh) is located in the canton of Grisons in the area of the Hinterrhein. The medieval town of around 200 inhabitants is also called the smallest city in Switzerland or even the world. In any case, it presents itself with this title. For centuries, the town was owned by the Bishop of Chur and was situated on the important trade route of the Alpine passes. This history is still recognizable in the architecture and buildings from the Middle Ages onwards. There are two castles (Schauenstein or Oberes Schloss) and the bishop’s castle (Unteres Schloss), a bishop’s palace, a trade building (the Stoffelhaus with profane Gothic frescoes from the fourteenth century), the church from 1354 and some other impressive buildings, which give the place its urban appearance. The name Fürstenau is already an indication of the close ties with the medieval prince-bishop of Chur.