The ruins of Casnàcc
The ruins of the house in Casnàcc near Bondo are the archaeological remains of the village in the canton of Graubünden that was abandoned at the beginning of the seventeenth century. The house was recently renovated and has been a cultural heritage of the canton since 2016.
Casnàcc is strategically located on a terrace above the river Mera (Maira). It was a “borgo” (fortified place) and consisted of houses, barns and cascines (dry houses for chestnuts), which stood around a meadow. The ruins also consist of another house, several barns and stone foundations of buildings. They have been abandoned for at least 400 years. It is a place where archaeology, early modern architecture and history meet.
From a historical point of view, it is an interesting area because of the Bündner Wirren (1618-1639). The abandonment of the village could be related to this dramatic episode of (civil) war. Many people in this region left the villages or were killed. (source and further information: www.garbald.ch).