The highest Church
The village with the highest church tower is known from documents in 930. The Lower Engadine (Unterengadin) was then part of the County of Vinschgau. Like most villages in this region, Sent was destroyed in the Schwabenkrieg (1499) by Habsburg troops and again in the Thirty Years’ War during the Bündner Wirren (1618-1639) in 1622. Sent belonged to the Bishop of Chur since 1177. Sent joined the Gotteshausbund in 1367. This Alliance was a defence against the Habsburg dynasty and its claims in this area, which eventually led to the Schwabenkrieg. The devastation and the various major fires in the centuries that followed are not visible in today’s Sent, beautifully situated in the vicinity of the Biosfera Park Val Müstair, the Swiss national park and the borders of Italy and Austria.
The almost urban character of the village and it is large Engadine houses with Italian influences is striking. Many inhabitants emigrated to Italy and sometimes returned prosperously, The construction of the neo-Gothic church tower at the end of the 19th century symbolises the involvement of citizens. The Romanesque church has been rebuilt in the 14th, and 15th centuries in the Gothic style, after the transition to the Protestant faith (around 1530). The Romanesque tower was preserved until 1898, when it was replaced by the neo-Gothic tower. The inhabitants and the architect financed the project and continued to build until the building material ran out. That is the reason for the exceptional height of the tower. (Source and further information: www.engadin.com).