The city of Laufenburg
6 September 2020
The town and the Rhine bridge were mentioned for the first time in a document from 1207. This bridge was the most important road crossing over the Upper Rhine for a long time. The old wooden Rhine Bridge in Basel dates from 1225-1244 (or earlier) but was less important at the time.
The town belonged to Habsburg until the separation into two parts in 1801.
The history of Laufenburg on the right bank of the Rhine as a German city begins after the Peace of Lunéviller (1801). Laufenburg on the left bank of the Rhine was assigned to the newly founded canton of Aargau in 1803. This canton was a member of the new (Swiss) confederation (Mediation Act of 1803).
Athough both towns are separated by national borders, they are still historically united. (Source and further information: www.laufenburg.ch).