25 July 1867 is an important but almost forgotten day in the modern history of Switzerland. It was on this day that the parliament in Bern decided, for the first time, on federal funding for projects in cantons. These federal grants covered the high costs of the cantons of Freiburg, Bern, Neuchâtel, Waadt and Solothurn in the Jura Water Correction Project (La Correction des eaux du Jura/Juragewässerkorrektion) for the years 1868-1891. By today’s standards, the Federal Government contributed about two billion CHF. The Rubicon (Aare) was (literally) crossed.