Spa in Scuol-Tarasp
Bath and drinking cures are among the oldest known healing practices, already known to the Romans. In Scuol-Tarasp, more than 20 springs bubble from the rocks. Tourist development began in 1841 when two entrepreneurs leased the springs of Tarasp and were allowed to build a park and prepare the springs for consumption on a large scale. Around 1843 the Büvetta drinking hall was built. Tarasp Kurhaus was completed in 1864 and wealthy guests came to the spa in large numbers. The hotel had 300 beds with the most modern comfort and beautiful rooms and lounges. A drinking hall with shops and service salons, large vaulted windows overlooking the Inn and mountains and a massive rotunda with columns on high marble pedestals for the three springs Bonifazius, Emerita and Luzius was completed in 1876. However, with the outbreak of the Second World War, guests stayed away and after that the decline of the spa and bathing facilities could not be stopped. The representative architecture still bears witness to the splendour of the heyday of spa tourism in Engadine. (Source: Verein pro Büvetta, Tarasp, 2015).