Porrentruy and the Bishop
10 February 2019
Porrentruy in the canton of Jura was for a long time the seat of the Bishop of Basel after he had to leave his episcopal palace on the Münster after the Reformation in 1529. The large episcopal complex on the hill still bears witness to this.
The coat of arms of the canton still shows the red staff of the bishop (canton Basel-Landt also has a red staff, canton Baselstadt uses a black staff).
The grandeur of the bishop’s presence is still visible. Hôtel-Dieu in Porrentruy is one of the most beautiful and best-preserved late-Baroque hospitals in Switzerland. The building was designed between 1761 and 1765 by Pierre-François Paris, an architect in the service of the bishop. He also built the Hôtel-de-Ville and Hôtel-des-Halles.
Until 1956 it was used as a hospital. The present-day museum houses the hospital pharmacy built of maple wood (1846 designed by Jean-Baptiste Carraz), the church treasure of St. Pierre (15th century) and other objects of (regional) cultural-historical interest.