In the 1960s, the population of Basel and the city grew rapidly. The Paulus Quarter developed from 1880 onwards, and a new district for the affluent middle class was created. The buildings show the style of historism, the reliance on styles from the past, especially Romanesque, Gothic and neo-classicism, this district also needed a church and in 1896 a tender was issued. The architect Carl Moser (1860-1936) was the preferred choice. Work began in May 1898, and the Pauluskirche was consecrated on 17 November 1901. At the time, central building was the most popular floor plan of the Evangelical Church (according to the so-called Wiesbadener Programm), and the Pauluskirche shares this concept. However, there is also an extraordinary exterior, and interior decoration and architecture with Basic Romanesque shapes, religious symbolism, biblical figures, Art Nouveau details and a one-and-a-half metre raised bottom with a flower arrangement to enhance the effect of the building. The church still seems rich and saturated, a beacon of nostalgia marked by historism. (Source: H.-A. Ritter, Pauluskirche, Basel 2001).