Ninety years Glacier-Express
Ninety years ago, the first Glacier-Express of the Rhätische Bahn drove from St. Moritz to Zermatt via Reichenau, Disentis, Andermatt, Gletsch and Brigg. The route has since been adapted and extended several times and covers the cantons of Graubünden, Valais and Uri. It crosses the lake landscape of Engadin, many viaducts, including the famous Landwasserviaduct and of course the Matterhorn region. In the beginning, the tourists came mainly from Europe. After 1950, the number of American tourists increased sharply, partly due to great attention from television stations. Since the 1980s, more and more Asian and Arab tourists have come. The train carried more than eight million passengers. Service and appearance have also changed dramatically since 1930, partly due to modern media and luxury carriages. It was not until 1986, however, that the train was given the red colour that is so typical of today. Only the magnificent Alpine landscape remains unchanged, apart perhaps from melting glaciers.