2 July 2021
The first tower, a donjon, of Aubonne Castle (canton of Vaud) dates back to the 12th century. The charter of 1234 confirms the rights and duties of the Seigneurie of the Lords of Aubonne and the city.
Over the centuries, the castle has had the following owners: The Seigneurs d’Aubonne, the Counts and Dukes of Savoy, the Seigneurs of Grandson and the Counts of Gruyère and Bern.
The castle became a citadel in the sixteenth century. In the seventeenth century, there are two important adaptations.
Jean-Baptiste Tavernier (1605-1689) and Henri, Marquis Duquesne (1652-1722), two Huguenots who had fled, significantly altered the castle.
Tavernier had lived in the Orient for 50 years and gave the tower the appearance of a minaret facing the East. The Marquis transformed the chateau into a comfortable and aristocratic residence.
From 1701, the castle was the residence of the Baillif of Bern until 1798. The castle belongs to the municipality of Aubonne. nowadays.