16 February 2021
Monthey is the capital of the (Swiss) Chablais (canton Valais), located at the feets of the Dents du-Midi, the Portes du Soleil, the Val d’Illiez and the river Vièze.
The name and the castle of the town appear for the first time in the thirteenth century (castrum Monteyz).
The local dynasty de Monthéleo is much better known (see also the booklet by Abbé Tamini, Les Nobles de Monthéleo de Montheis). They ruled the city until 1536 and rebuilt the castle in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries.
The city in the Lower-Valais (Bas-Valais, Unterwallis) was territory of the dukes of Savoy until 1536 and afterwards the Republic of the Seven Zenden (die Republik der Sieben Zenden/ la Républic des sept Dizains) of the Upper-Valais (Haut-Valais/Oberwallis). This rule lasted until 1798 and the French invasion (Swiss Spectator 26.01.2021, Local History).
Monthey is considered the first industrial town in the Valais and a pioneer in the chemical, syntetic, stone and metal construction sectors.
The town still shows many remnants of its almost millenary history and culture. (Source and further information: www.monthey.ch).