Le Vieux-Manoir in Merlach
9 December 2019
In 1907, Laure Mallet-Chatoney built a summer residence on the shores of Lake Murten (lac du Morat, canton of Fribourg). The villa in Merlach (Meyriez) was at that time one of the most modern houses in the canton.
One of his ancestors had bought a plot of land here in the 18th century and the construction of a summer residence on the shores of the lake was in vogue among the wealthy bourgeoisie (mainly from Bern, Fribourg, Neuchâtel).
The architects were Frédéric Broillet and Charles-Albert Wulffleff, both from Fribourg. The English style is clearly visible in the interior and exterior of the building. The garden house served as a garage, but later became a restaurant known as “La Pinte du Vieux Manoir”.
After the Second World War, the heirs of the family sold the manor house. In the mid-1950s, a hotelier and an architect converted the building into a luxury hotel residence.
The tower dates from this period. The manor house and its location are worth a visit, also because of its proximity to the city of Murten.