Le Pays-d´Enhaut Region
4 July 2019
The Pays-d´Enhaut region belonged until 1530 to the Counts of Gruyère. After their bankruptcy, the region was ruled by Bern (the city also introduced the Reformation in this region). The region was assigned to the new canton of Vaud by the Act of Mediation (Mediationsakte) in 1830.
The three important villages are Rougemont, Château-d´Oex and Rossinière and smaller villages such as Flendruz, Gérignoz, Le Pré, Les Moulins and La Tine.
Château-d´Oex owes its name to the old castle of the Counts of Gruyères.
The region is known for the beautiful chalets, the regional Parc Gruyères d´Enhaut, cheese production and the four (Romanesque) churches.
The protestant Church in Château-d´Oex was restored after the great fire of 1800 and still dominates the skyline of the village.
The church was rebuilt in the 15th century for the first time. The other (Romanesque) churches are in Rossinière (13th century), Rougemont (1080) and L´Etivaz (15th century).
Local people used the word chalet to refer to wooden buildings in the Alps, but tourists called all wooden houses chalets.
The alpine pastures give cheese the highly appreciated taste and quality.
Le Borjoz (1604), le Grand Chalet (1754), Clos Fleuri (1600), l´Hotel de Ville (1645), la Maison de la Place (1664) in Rossinière,
Les Foisses (1705), Hôtel de Commune (1709), La Cotze (1654), la Maison du Cordier (1655), les Clématites (1647), les Arolles (1701) in Rougemont and
la Vielle Cure des Poses (1551) and la Maison des Monnaires (1753) in Château-d´Oex are just a few examples of this heritage.
The museum in Château-d´Oex, le musée du Pays d´Enhaut, shows the architecture and the (cultural) history of the region. (Source and further information: www.chateau-doex.ch).