Klingental 11 in Kleinbasel
The Rappaz Museum is housed in one of Kleinbasel’s oldest buildings, on the right bank of the Rhine. Grossbasel lies on the other side of the Rhine.
The museum houses the studio of Rolf Rappaz (1914-1996) and the exhibition dedicated to him. The origins of the house go back to the 11th century. At that time, the house was part of the Klingental monastery, which was founded in 1274.
The house served as the convent’s weaving mill. As a result of the Reformation, the monastery was dissolved in 1557 and from then on served as accommodation for soldiers from the nearby barracks. After several owners, the property became the property of the city of Basel.
Rolf Rappaz opened his studio in this house in the middle of the twentieth century, and his studio would leave its mark on graphic art in Switzerland and far beyond for decades.
The house was completely renovated, and in 2008 the museum opened its doors. (Source and further information: www.rappazmuseum.ch).