20 November 2019
The tower of Kaiserstuhl marks the beginning of the history of Kaiserstuhl.
The Barons (Freiherren) of Regensberg built the tower and the city wall at the Rhine crossing around 1260. They controlled the important trade route between southern Germany and the Swiss Plateau.
The town became the property of the Bishop of Constance in 1294. The bishop’s bailiffs resided on the right bank of the Rhine in the Rötteln Castle. The Rhine was not a border yet.
This situation changed in 1803. Kaiserstuhl was assigned to the new canton of Aargau, and the Rhine became the national border and Kaiserstuhl was split in a German and Swiss town.
(Source and further information: www.kaiserstuhl.ch).