Former monastery of St. Peter in Mistail
The church and former monastery of St. Peter in Mistail (canton of Grisons) is located on a rock formation above the Albula Gorge between the Upper and Lower Schynweg (obere and untere Schynweg). The name comes from monasterium (like Müstair in Unterengadin and Mustèr (Disentis) in Surselva and the Upper Rhine valley).
The monastery flourished around 800 in the Carolingian Empire in the communes of Alvaschein (Alfosen) and Tiefencastel (Wapitines or Impidines).
After the decline of the Carolingian Empire, the monastery lost its significance, however, and in 1154 it was even abolished by Bishop Adalgott of Chur.
Until 1739 the church in Alvaschein acted still a parish church, although the parish church in Tiefencastel was the formal parish church. In that year, the St. Joseph church in Alvaschein, which had already been built in 1663, was consecrated as a parish church.
Afterwards, Mistail was only a pilgrimage destination, which is probably the reason why the frescoes and the church have been so well preserved. The former monastery church is still located on the rock, but not lonely because there is also an inhabited house nearby.