2 September 2019
The origins of the Holy Chapel inside the baroque monastery go back to the year 934. The chapel was built at the site of the violent death of the monk Meinrad. The name Einsiedeln appeared for the first time in a document in 1073.
The monastery became a Habsburg dominion in the thirteenth century. Schwyz plundered the monastery in 1314. The Habsburg-Schwyz war ended in defeat for Habsburg in 1315 near Morgarten.
The baroque monastery replaced the Romanesque and Gothic buildings.
The main reason was the prestige of this pilgrimage destination after 1466. The statue of the Black Madonna came to Einsiedeln in this year.
The monastery was and is the most important site of the veneration of Maria in Switzerland and far beyond.
The monastery is part of the Shrines of Europe network. (Further information: www.eyz.swiss).