29 July 2021
Sargans Castle was built around 1100 by the Counts of Werdenberg-Sargans. The fortifications were gradually expanded.
The first inhabitants were the counts of Montfort, who lived here from the 13th to the 15th century. The last Count sold the county and castle to the Swiss Confederation in 1483. From 1483 to 1798, the bailiffs of the Eidgenossenschaft resided in the castle.
It was not until the French Revolution in 1798 that the power of the Confederation ended, and the last bailiff left the castle in 1798. The new canton of St. Gallen became the new owner of the castle.