Reigoldswil, Waterfalls, Cable Car and Rifenstein Castle
11 August 2021
The first known owners of the village were the Lords of Frohburg. The name Rigoltswire (Rigolt’s hamlet) was first mentioned in 1152. In 1366, the village passed to the Bishop of Basel. From 1400 to 1798, the village fell under the rule of the city of Basel.
Rifenstein Castle was inhabited from 1200 to the middle of the 14th century, after which it fell into disrepair. It was restored in 1936. During the years of the separation of the Canton of Basel (1832-1833), Reigoldswil initially remained on the side of the city. To support Reigoldswil, Basler troops marched into the village on 3 August, in vain.
On 26 August 1833, the secession was decided by a resolution of the Tagsatzung, the meeting of representatives of the cantons, and Reigoldswil became part of the new Basel-Landschaft canton. The Reigoldswil-Wasserfallen Luftseilbahn was put into operation in 1956.