The Augustinians operated the canons’ monastery in Ittingen until the middle of the 15th century. The Carthusian order acquired the monastery in 1461. The Ittingen Charterhouse Foundation was founded in 1977 and the Museum opened opened soon afterwards. The Ittingen Charterhouse is one of the outstanding cultural monuments in the Lake Constance region. The former monastery combines shows the culture, history and religion of the region in a broader European context (Source: www.kartause.ch).