The church of Sutz
19 June 2021
The church of Sutz (Canton Bern) is located on the historical hiking trail tGeschichtenweg), that the Reformed churches in the Seeland district have set up between the former Gottstatt monastery and the church of Erlach.
The church of Sutz is situated on the edge of a slope near Lake Biel. The first church was built around the year 1 000. In 1289, the baron of Jegenstorf donated the church to the Gottstatt monastery. After the Reformation of 1528, the church was administered by Bern.
The Romanesque walls of the nave have been preserved. The tower was built in 1485. The polygonal choir and the baptismal font date from 1510. The late Gothic windows and the Renaissance pulpit are still of excellent quality.
A major renovation was undertaken in 1789. The last extensive renovation was carried out between 1965 and 1966.
(Source and further information: www.kirchenvisite.ch).