Bever in Graubünden
31 July 2021
Bever (canton of Graubünden), whose name goes back to the Celtic word ‘Beberos’, beaver, is mentioned in 1137 in the Treaty of Gamertinger, a sales contract between the counts of Gamertingen and the bishop of Chur. In 1499, the Austrians destroyed the village in the Swabian War (Schwabenkrieg).
Bever is a village with many well-preserved Engadiner houses from the 17th and 18th centuries. The village was a community with many wealthy citizens.
They owed their prosperity to their work as confectioners, hoteliers or traders abroad.