Anestre becomes Ins
25 June 2021
As early as the Neolithic period (4000-1800 B.C.), the area around Ins (Anet in French) was inhabited. The Roman period has also left its traces.
The first mention dates from 851 in a chronicle: Villa de Anes. In 1009, the first mention is found in a charter in the old French language: Anestre.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Ins belonged to the county of Neuchâtel-Nidau. In 1376 the village fell under Savoy together with Erlach (Cerlier).
Bern conquered the area together with the seigneurie of Erlach during the Burgundian Wars (1474-1476). Since then, it has been German-speaking and is part of the canton of Bern.