Local History

Le sentier culturel du château de Prangins. Photo/Foto: TES.

Cultural Trail Prangins Castle

The Château de Prangins is the heart of the barony. Baron Louis-François Guiguer (1741-1786), son of Jean-Georges Guiguer (1707-1770) and Elisabeth Darcy (1736-1760) spent his youth in Paris and Geneva. When he became a baron, he settled in Prangins in 1771 and devoted himself to the management of his 5-hectare estate. He married Matilda Shore Cleveland (1758-1817). The cultural trail around the castle and in the park offers a varied insight into the history of the castle. The path connects more than three centuries of history and connects the castle of Prangins with Gland and La Lignière. There are ten marked spots along this trail. From the starting point at Château de Prangins, it leads to Sadex-Les Abériaux and its lake dwellings (UNESCO heritage), then continues to Promenthoux, named after the noble family who lived there in the 13th century, the Golf Impérial, a former estate, where some members of the Napoleon family took refuge in 1814. It then becomes the Toblerones aux Avouillons trail, a farm built according to the wishes of Baroness Guiguer, before being added to the castle of Gland and Montoly, with its great cultural spaces. The route ends in La Lignière, the home of Baron Guiguer’s director, the holiday resort of Voltaire, which became a nursing school and then the current clinic. The Villa Rose fortification has become a museum. The villa is a fort from 1940 camouflaged as a house (Source and more information: www.chateaudeprangins.ch).