The building of the castle goes back to the period of the Savoy Dynasty in the thirteenth century and was completed in the following centuries. During the conflict between Savoy and Bern in 1536, the latter seized the castle and burned it down. The present castle was rebuilt in 1657 and during the first period of the eighteenth century. The castle owes its fame to Madame de Staël (1766-1817), daughter of the (Swiss) Jacques Necker (1732-1804), Minister of Finance of the French King Louis XVI and Suzanne Curchod (1737-1794). At the death of Necker in 1804, Madame de Staël inherited the castle, which is still owned by the family nowadays. Madame de Staël was exiled from Paris by Napoleon because of her liberal ideas. She created a real court life and continued her famous Paris salons in Coppet, however. (Source: www.chateaudecoppet.ch).