Church of Kleinhüningen
15 February 2021
The Protestant church of Kleinhüningen (canton Basel-Stadt, city of Basel) was built in 1710 by Peter Racine in a simple Baroque style. The church replaced the medieval village church. This church was destroyed in the Thirty Years’ War (1618-1648).
The ceiling, the western entrance and the octagonal shape of the tower are exceptional, the so-called “anti-baroque”.
The church was restored by Amadeus Merian (1808-1889) in 1847. Several renovations took place in 1975 and 2010.
The anchor at the bottom of the church tower refers to the village as a port on the Rhine.