The castle as it is today is the result of a series of additions, renovations and alterations around the Great Tower, which dates from the 11th century. The castle’s double identity, fortress and residence, and its oval structure are still intact, however. Although many medieval structures are nineteenth and twentieth centuries reconstructions, the castle still has an important collection of late medieval frescos and decorations in the Renaissance style dating from the Bernese period.
The courtyards and halls, the aula magna, the prisons, the aula nova, the Bernese bedroom, the camera domini, the room of the coats of arms, the chapel, the lavatory, the towers and the staircases give a good impression of the (medieval) life and activities. The castle remained in use as a prison until the late nineteenth century, although it had lost its function as fortress and residence/administration of the Savoyard/Bernese bailiffs already in 1798. (Source and further information: C. Huguenin, A Walk around the Castle of Chillon, Veytaux, 2016; www.chillon.ch).